What can be done? practically defending our privacy and freedom

View previous topic View next topic Go down

What can be done? practically defending our privacy and freedom

Post  azvareth on Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:05 pm

This thread is supposed to be a brainstorming place, to come up with ideas to improve users integrity.

For example....
how to use TOR as an underlaying mechanism for torrenting.
how to use TOR and DHT? as an underlaying mechanism for VPN (virtual [encrypted] lan over internet)
how to use xxx and yyy to improve integrity without the need to buy expencive hardware or servers (like a "cloud" that is)

Is it possible to put together different aspects of todays technology and implemented software solutions, to create something new.... better and more anonymized networking that can get widespread?

azvareth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: What can be done? practically defending our privacy and freedom

Post  azvareth on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:32 pm

I will give an example of what could be done today with free software, and is quite easy to setup.
[this is for "dudes" who is really conccerned about their privacy]

(Also I don't mind that this topic also will pop up to top the same time Twisted Evil)

First of all you need a dedicated HD or partion (actually you don't need but it is best)
Second you get TrueCrypt, and crypt that same dedicated HD/Partion when done, you get a "free" Virtual Machine, you install it on your dedicated HD/Partion, create a reasonable sized virtual disk for the OS and install a Free OS to it (or the one you "bought" with your computer), the rest of the space you dedicate for networktraffic (read downloads) this area should be shared between your host OS and the VM Client OS. (note that both VM OS and networktraffic will be on an encrypted disc)

Every visit to any site that might (against your will) force you to download illegal stuff should be done via the VM OS. The reason to this is that any OS is saving data here and there of what you are doing, noone nows for sure where it is so "cleaners" and other tools might not wipe it out completely.

So... TrueCrypt could be used to "enable" the HD/Partion via a keyfile and a password, the keyfile is best stored on an removeable media USB-pen or the like, the password is in your head only. Once the correct key/pass has been provided the disk is mounted and the VM could be started together with the VM OS and the network storage data is accessable as well.

Ofcourse this is a very good way to keep familymembers of your stuff as well.

What authorities can do:
1. They CAN log the traffic to and from your computer
2. They CAN "brute force" ? decrypt your HD/Partion

What authorities can't do:
1. They can't find any evidence that YOU have DL anything, not in your HD's (unless point 2 above)
2. They can't find any evidence whatsoever that your OS even have visited sites mentioned above.

Last note.
I don't know if the logs of traffic is enough to get people hanged, but if they (without hard work of deencryption) can't find any physical evidence (after a raid for example), is that enough to "prosecute" ?

azvareth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  rawen666 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:40 pm

I want to see you bruteforcing some 5468465486 letters long password stored on flash >_<
Unbreakable, purely...

rawen666

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  azvareth on Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:32 pm

I am not so sure, you see military research allways lies far more ahead then civil research. And the development of so called "Quantum" Processing techniques is reality today, how far they have reached ? I don't know, but some allready developed Quantum Alghorithms have been created and they may even make todays strongest encryption useless... If THEY have access to it in their surveilance? Well let us do a vote for it.

I think they have, even if it is like comparing our modern system to a 8 Bit system from the 80's, Q has a long way to go, but have made their first steps.

azvareth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Peanutt010 on Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:45 pm

Well basicly the truth about code cracking is that every code even absurdly long ones stored on a password manager.
All it takes is time.

So its realy a matter of how many computing power you can trow at it and how many pc's are doing the job.

A code is still the same as a combination lock... at one point you are bound to get the right one.
even if its a 256 bit digit
Peanutt010
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:50 am

but a 256 bit code has 2^256
which is 1.5 x 10^77. thats a huge number. even if they tasked some serious pcs to break it, which i doubt they would, it would still take alot of time. and that means that if you just encrypt random noise and send it, they will have to give up. random files are easy to make, and if we just torrented them aswell, we would fuck over the internet police by wasting their time

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://antiacta.motionforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  azvareth on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:20 pm

yes but this "Quant" theory that they to some degree have implemented in reality.

One bit are at the same time 1 and 0 and hold both states at the same time, don't ask how they can read the correct answer, I only read it in some scientic magazine, and they say it works, and they have implemented some few quant alghorithms aswell, basically such suited for "cracking" but some database shuffling aswell.

bit 1 has 0 | 1 (at the same time)
bit 2 has 0 | 1 (at the same time)

At the same time: the result is, 0 0, 0 1, 1 0, 1 1 here we are talking real cracking, you better hit the road H2O.

azvareth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:28 pm

im not convinced that the quantum computing is actually working in a useable sense ATM. and even if it is, the US government wont waste it on pirates, when there are terrorists about

Admin
Admin

View user profile http://antiacta.motionforum.net

Back to top Go down

Post  azvareth on Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Admin wrote:im not convinced that the quantum computing is actually working in a useable sense ATM. and even if it is, the US government wont waste it on pirates, when there are terrorists about

I thought that "behind" the "piracy" issue we was talking about who have the control, Authoritiez wish to have total control...

Let see: Why do a politician amongst a few do as they do? because they gain something and they are not likely to give up this without a fight. So what do they do?

They pull of a stunt and call it democracy.

I take a few examples from my country:
The lowest form of authority is called a kommun it is a community a bit larger then a city or big village, they have so called "nämnde" meetings, a group of represants for the people in that community, but the people is not allowed to attend at those meetings. A few times a year there is some sort of bigger meeting where we can attend but we are not allowed to talk.

If we wish to make an opinion we are allowed to write a letter. How do we know what we should do opinion against? Well they don't actively go out with any information. So you need to somehow know what you are looking for, when you know this you can get information regarding the issue.

In partically my city the authoritys have been very "democratic" they have put all the issuses that is handled on the net [PDF's], but.... instead of filing them as, suggestion to rebuild road nnn, it only get filed under a number ###, so the practical use for this unless you build a spider or read every document, is to those who allready know about the issue (the politicians).

So back to the point: The politicians then say, we have a very good democracy, everyone is allowed to make their voice heard, we even take democracy longer, we take democracy to the informationage, and the ultimate proof of democracy is that you have the right to vote for the party you find most attractive (read: that succeed to put a lot of shit in you, that you beleive in)

By making it harder for ordinary people to really make their voice heard, you must vote for a party. and thus the party has the power, and the most successful person within that party have the biggest power. If politicians wanted real democracy they could had done things differently.

This is the nature of a politician, to keep the power they are experts in fill other people of shit they beleive in. But the second agenda for a politican is also to be accepted by the rich, to have a "status", and the rich very well have ideas they gladely tell the politican, sometimes they even pay the politician, and once a politician is payed one way or another, he is a rich mans slave.

So what do you think will happen, these tech might be to expensive now, but it will be cheaper.

History leasson:
In the 80's here in Sweden politicians wanted cameras, this was stoped by the people, today we have cameras everywhere, on busses, in the City, on the roads, in the stores, McDonalds, hell I even went in to a small pizzeria and saw a camera there (no warningsigns though), HOW could this happen ? from total rejection to almost total acceptance?

They claim, to have better security for the people, statistics shows cameras have no impact... but don't talk so loud about it, and what the fuck should the camera do when some weird guy come to
[rape, rob, kill, beat, something really bad] to you, how do your security improve?

And the major BIG reason that goes home by the people is: if you have a clean act (do nothing criminal), you have nothing to be worried about. With this reasoning a 20 years from now, all webcams will constantly be surveiled because: if you have a clean act (do nothing criminal), you have nothing to be worried about. So many crimes done at home could be prevented. beat up of the wife, incest, childabuse, whatever...

And ofcourse this has nothing to do with one and another? there is not a thread in here somewhere?

growing surveilance, lesser rights and decreased ability to "real" democracy and make your voice heard... (so! yes one day these Quant machines will be used, for these topics mentioned)

Ok! I might have gone a long way from the topic, but my brain told me to write this, and I cant control my brain...

azvareth

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top