got an idea....

View previous topic View next topic Go down

got an idea....

Post  calvorin on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:39 pm

It was hot. It was way too fucking hot, and the sun was barely up. That’s the price for living in paradise, I guess. I switched off my aircar and unbuckled. I’m not sure why I bothered with the damn seatbelt. Compared to the T-Bird I’d owned back home, the little compressed air powered compact barely went fast enough to kill the over-sized mosquitoes that hit the windshield. The streets of The Pirate Bay Freeport were empty this early. No one got up before ten in this city; no one except coffee shop owners and cops, that is. A light mist hung over the neat, straightly-planned streets, rising up to cluster around the massive steel and glass form of the cathedral of the COP above us. The building was shaped to look like a skeletal pirate ship with glass walls. It was pretty, I suppose. Mostly it screamed ‘security risk’. I took the opportunity to light a quick smoke on my way.
My destination was a little curio shop owned by some Chinese immigrant. We were all immigrants here, so that didn’t mean much. The natives didn’t live in the city. They didn’t have much to do with us, really. They took the massive amounts of money we brought in, and let us have the protection of their government in return.
“What’s the story?” I asked the officer out front. I knew I’d get a better rundown from the detective inside, but I wanted to finish my cigarette.
“Looks like a standard break-in, Sir. Not sure why they called you in.” The officer explained, trying to look as vigilant as possible. “We’ll track ‘em down and, hopefully, get the stuff back, GCPU willing.”
I glanced over at the young man. He was green; you could see it in his stance. A lot of the police force here were. The Bay hadn’t been around that long. “I’m Presbyterian” I answered simply, dropped my butt, and walked inside as he tried to stammer an apology.

calvorin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: got an idea....

Post  calvorin on Tue Mar 30, 2010 5:53 pm

Michael Lu was a young, rising detective. Like the officer out front, I wasn’t sure why he’d bothered calling me for a routine robbery. But I’d met the man a few times, and thought he was worth the trip. “Sir,” he said, as he saw me come in. “This is a weird one.”
“It is,” I asked, looking around at the broken cases and open register?
“ummm,” he looked hesitant and deflated. I was underestimating how stressful it could be speaking to the Security Chief.
“Sorry, Lu, I didn’t mean to shoot you down,” I explained. “I want to know what you’re seeing. Show me.”
He took a moment to compose himself then led me outside. “There,” he said, pointing. “A jewelry store,” his confidence grew back as he spoke, “and there, that’s a computer shop. Over there is a gun store. Over there it looks like some kind of clothing boutique. Why would anyone pick this place in this neighborhood? Something’s not right.”
He was right. I hadn’t even seen it walking in. It must be too early for me, or maybe I’m just old and tired. The kid was right. Something didn’t make sense. I didn’t say a word, just clapped him on the shoulder and walked back inside.

calvorin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calvorin on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:20 pm

The damage inside looked about right, on a quick glance. There was a lot of broken glass. There were a lot of things, clearly, missing. The register was empty. But it did not survive a quick glance. A gold watch here, and antique pistol there, and it quickly became apparent that the thieves didn’t really care about the contents of the cases they were smashing. It could still be that they were just in a hurry. But I was beginning to think that Detective Lu’s instincts were dead on.
Hui Wang was the owner of this shop. I had the officers bring him out from the back. He was small, with plastic-framed glasses, dressed in a rumpled, striped dress shirt and slacks with suspenders. He looked like a damn walking stereotype. But the steady, controlled balance of his movements didn’t match that stereotype. I ticked off more evidence that things were not as they seemed.
“Mr. Wang,” I said, extending a hand, which he took. “I’m Security Chief Alridge. I am very sorry for your losses, and I hope we can get to the bottom of this quickly.” I said the words, even though I could tell already that getting to the bottom of this was the last thing he wanted.
“Shank you, shir,” he said, laying the dialectic a bit too thick. He was playing me like a local, assuming he could snow me with the innocent immigrant act.

calvorin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calvorin on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:29 pm

this is all I've got in me tonight... but the basic idea is a near future fiction set in a city established by pirates, based on the principles of the Pirate Bay.

calvorin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GSArora on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:39 pm

calvorin wrote:this is all I've got in me tonight... but the basic idea is a near future fiction set in a city established by pirates, based on the principles of the Pirate Bay.

Can the First Pope Arora I be mentioned? I'm on board.
GSArora
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calvorin on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:40 pm

absolutely! give me character ideas... I'll work 'em in.

calvorin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  GSArora on Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:59 pm

calvorin wrote:absolutely! give me character ideas... I'll work 'em in.

Chief Aldrige-A man who has faced adversity in his childhood, and has given up faith in the GCPU. He arrives to the _______(country) hoping to start a new life, his past heavy and somber. What he learns shall question all other faiths, in a giant cover up of GCPU through the ages. Very Happy

Pope Arora II-The heir and succesor of Pope ArorA I, he has learned the secrets of the church, has seen the light. He joins Aldrige in his quest for the truthand may find the truth isn't always as pleasant as you like to believe king
GSArora
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calvorin on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:41 am

The Church of Pirateology will be present, but isn't primary to the plot. The story will be about the city, The Pirate Bay Freeport, founded on the principles of internet freedom. It will be about espionage and international conspiracies.

calvorin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoserus on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:06 pm

So far I like it! Good job brother, what if when you finish, it gets published. Then there is an alternate religion based off of this book, that would be some shit.

Dr. Fwuffles - A rabbit with a diploma......and an attitude.
albino
I've never been good at stories...
Phoserus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calvorin on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:37 pm

Phoserus wrote:So far I like it! Good job brother, what if when you finish, it gets published. Then there is an alternate religion based off of this book, that would be some shit.

Dr. Fwuffles - A rabbit with a diploma......and an attitude.
albino
I've never been good at stories...

Not the first time a religion has come out of a novel, and at least this one wasn't made on a bet at a sci-fi convention. Very Happy

calvorin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoserus on Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:42 pm

Yeah, it would be funny if that religion got more popular than COP though. lol
Are you going to make the religion the enemy, or some other foreign government? Or something like that....
Phoserus

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  calvorin on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:49 pm

Phoserus wrote:Yeah, it would be funny if that religion got more popular than COP though. lol
Are you going to make the religion the enemy, or some other foreign government? Or something like that....

The enemy will be a bit unclear at first, but no, it will not be the COP

calvorin
Admin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Phoserus on Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:58 pm

Very cool, can't wait to read some more. study
Phoserus

View user profile

Back to top Go down